Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ginger Ale


From the recipe in Nourishing Traditions, last night we (as in dd#2 and I) assembled fresh grated ginger, sea salt, lime juice, filtered water, and in the cup/funnel/coffee filter is kefir letting the whey drain through. Using whey from kefir, yogurt, or buttermilk drops the acidity of your ferment, offering preservation while the veggie components have time to get culturing. It's been a while since we made this and I've been missing it. A few weeks ago, I did a wonderful tasting batch of ginger carrots. The carrots are wondeful to add a few tablespoons to a bowl of salad.
I attribute part of my own health recovery from systemic candida albicans and mold to the addition of lacto-fermented foods to my diet. This process is how people lived healthily without refrigeration, preserving and improving the nutrition available in the foods they had. And, it's actually a lot easier than modern canning methods.
The essential oil of ginger is also available through Young Living. Steam distilled from roots, it's great for arthritis, digestive difficulties, respiratory infections,/congestion, muscular aches/pains, and nausea (from EODR 4th edition). It doesn't smell nearly as good as fresh ginger, like you might expect, but has a rather more earthy aroma.
Last year I potted up a few fresh roots from the grocery store that had promising buds on them, and sure enough they grew lovely fronds. I brought them into the garage for overwintering, since our OK winters are a bit too chilly for ginger. At one point I thought I might have killed them, but the tubers were hard, fresh and had long fleshy roots extending downward into the potting soil. I moved the pot out of doors after the last spring frost and had almost given up hope, but there is growth again! I'll try to get a picture of it to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment